Wednesday, November 29, 2006

TURKEY DAY


thanksgiving was pretty cool this year
me and kio went over to natalys
shes an american thats been living in france for the last three (or four) years
she had close to 20 people over
it was quite a mix
americans, irish, canadian, scottish and of course french
i got to do the honors of cooking the turkey...and the chicken
why a chicken you ask?
well, here in franceland they dont have thanksgiving
why should they?
why should we for that matter?
ok, i wont go chandler on you i'll get straight into the story
turkey is to xmas here as it is to us on thanksgiving
henceforth most of the turkeys on this side of the antlantic have got a few more weeks before they line up at the tree stump
50 pound butterballs available all year round at any respectable supermarket is a luxury that most americans feel is a birthright
the day before thanksgiving i was wishing that i was back home
on this side of the pond turkeys have to be specially ordered from the butcher shop
so like good little foreigners we followed local protocol
somewhere between the host, the orderer (is that a word? i'll say no), the butcher and me (the pick-uperer [definately not a word]) there was a miscommunication and the bird for 20 people turned into a bird for 10 people
well the butcher said 10 but three of my buddies back home could have easily knocked that thing off while watching the miami dolphins woop the detroit lions
so here i am looking at this butcher take a small blowtorch to this poor turkeys kneecaps (i dont know why, i f anybody knows about this please tell me) while my mind absolutely scrambles
what am i gonna do?
i cant get another turkey!
if i dont show up to this shindig with enough foul for the lot im gonna end up on the table
so emergency measures had to be taken and the seed of sacrillege was planted
a chicken!
i'll cook a chicken with it!
every bone in my body shuddered at the thought of a lowly chicken being cooked and served alongside the majestic thanksgiving day turkey
as my fine feathered freinds would have most certainly understood, i was just trying to save my own neck
so
you might be asking
how could you do such a thing?
how could you cook a chicken and a turkey together?
easy
i put the turkey in first, waited a while and then put in the chicken
ok, it was waaaay more elaborate than that but that was the gist of it
and it turned out great
everybody was pleased (even though the poultry had to be doled out in meager rations)
and anyway were in france

2 Comments:

Blogger Natalie said...

i hope to god you know that my name is NOT spelled with a Y. well at least you didnt spell it with an H.

12:30 AM

 
Blogger Two Shoes said...

Hurrah! I'm so proud of you for doing a turkey AND a chicken. Sounds like a solid solution to me! How did you stuff it? Did you put duck fat on in?

I think maybe the blowtorch was to burn off any last of the feathers? Just a guess.

I miss Thanksgiving in France. I realized after I came back that it will be a long time before I am my very own host for thanksgiving again.

PS I have a tempting pumpkin pie recipie if you want for next time!

7:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home